Kirk Cox was first elected from the 66th District to the House of Delegates in 1989. The 66th House District includes all of Colonial Heights and parts of Chesterfield. Kirk is proud to represent the very district where he grew up and graduated from High School. Following his graduation from Colonial Heights High School, he graduated from James Madison University where he holds a B.S. in both Political Science and General Social Science.
On January 10, 2018, Kirk was unanimously elected as Speaker of the House by the members of the House of Delegates. Upon being sworn in, Kirk became the first Speaker in state history from Colonial Heights, the first Speaker to represent a portion of Chesterfield County since the 1800s, and the first Speaker whose profession was that of a public school teacher.
Despite serving as Speaker of the House, Kirk’s priority has always been his hometown district. As Delegate Kirk is honored to represent many of the same students he taught in the classroom during a teaching career that spanned three decades. During the majority of his career, he would serve in Richmond during the day and work on teaching lesson plans at night. As a government teacher, Kirk always believed students learned best by being able to see first hand the workings of their government. Many times, Kirk would welcome his students to the Capitol so they could see first-hand representative democracy in action.
Kirk’s history as a teacher gives him a unique aspect about the job teachers perform everyday. That is why Kirk has fought to make sure teacher’s receive the pay they deserve, supporting 4 pay raises for teachers in the past 6 years, including a 5% raise in 2019.
Kirk works tirelessly to make Colonial Heights, Chesterfield, and all of Virginia the best place to live, work, and raise a family. In addition to championing a quality public education system, Kirk is also dedicated to improving veteran services, supporting citizens with disabilities, increasing economic development opportunities, and creating jobs.
Most important to Kirk is listening to what ideas and concerns are on the minds of the constituents he represents. He credits many of his major legislative successes to the suggestions made by constituents who he meets while knocking on doors in their community.
Just in 2019, Kirk championed legislation to lift the age cap on Autism related healthcare coverage, make our schools some of the safest in the nation, protect the unborn, take care of our veterans and their families, and provide tax relief to hard working middle class families.
Kirk lives in Colonial Heights with his wife, Julie. Colonial Heights is where they met while in High School, and later where they raised their four sons—Lane, Carter, Blake, and Cameron. The Coxes are members of The Heights Baptist Church where he serves as a Deacon. Kirk is active in the Colonial Heights community and previously coached youth baseball for 14 seasons.
Delegate Kirk Cox’s Committees, Boards, and Commissions
- Chairman of House Republican Policy Committee
- Chairman of House Rules Committee
- Member of Joint Rules Subcommittee
- Member of Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission
- Member of Joint Subcommittee on the Future Competitiveness of Virginia Higher Education
- Member of Joint Subcommittee on the Virginia Preschool Initiative
- Chairman of Virginia Council on the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children
- Chairman of Virginia World War I and World War II Commemorative Commission
- Treasurer/Finance Committee Chairman of Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation Board of Trustees
- Chairman of Jamestown-Yorktown Educational Trust
- Co-chairman of 2019 Commemoration Task Force, 400th Anniversary of the General Assembly
- Member of Virginia Growth and Opportunity Board
- Member of VCU Health System Board of Directors
- Chairman of Online Virginia Network Authority
Recognition for Outstanding Legislative Achievements
- Kiwanis Club of Chester – Person of the Year (2018)
- Legislator of the Year:
- Family Foundation – (1997 & 2000)
- Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts (2003)
- Virginia Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) (2006)
- Virginia State Police Association (2007)
- The Arc of Virginia – Advocate of the Year (2008)
- Virginia Council for Private Education (2008)
- Virginia Economic Developers Association (2009)
- Chesterfield County Economic Development (2009)
- Treasurer’s Association of Virginia (2009)
- Association of Planning District Commissions (2013)
- Virginia Funeral Directors Association (2016)
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce (2019)
- Colonial Heights Jaycees – Outstanding Young Citizen (1996)
- Department of the Army – Public Service Award/Medal (1998)
- Military Order of the Purple Heart Service Award (1998)
- Selective Service Meritorious Service Award/Medal (2002)
- Virginia National Guard Medal of Merit (2004)
- State American Legion Distinguished Service Award (2005)
- State Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Support Award (2005 & 2007)
- Joint Leadership Council – Veterans Services Organizations Service Award (2006 & 2008)
- Collaborations (Brain Injuries) Leadership Award (2007)
- VA Assembly of Independent Baptists Commendation (2007)
- National Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) President’s Award – Exceptional Leadership – Meritorious Service (2008)
- Greater Richmond Arc – Recognition – Compassionate Service (2008)
- Virginia Brain Injury Council of Department of Rehabilitative Services – “Toggle” Award (2009)
- Faith Baptist Church – Community Heroes Award (2009)
- Chesterfield County – Resolution for Economic & Community Development Spt. (2009)
- Virginia Council of Chapters MOAA – Outstanding Service Award (2011)
- Virginia Chamber Distinguished Advocate for Virginia Business Award (2012)
- Virginia Chamber Champion of Free Enterprise Award (2013)
- Virginia Chamber Excellence in Education and Workforce Training Award (2013)
- The Arc Catalyst for Change Award (2013)
- Virginia Chamber Champion of Free Enterprise Award (2014)
- Virginia Chamber Military and Veterans Affairs Advocate Award (2014)
- Virginia Chamber Military and Veterans Affairs Advocate Award (2015)
- Virginia Chamber Business Advocate of the Year (2016)
- Virginia Chamber Economic Competitiveness Award (2016)
- Distinguished Friend of Agribusiness (2017)